Monday 12 March 2012

12.03.12

I live in Melbourne now
How?

I used to love it here - but now I fear that it is going to change me.
I used to love myself, but now I hate being me

I hate walking out and being the only black person I see
I hate the racial stares and the comments I hear
A lazy white woman's friend said to her - you need your own little black slave to get it for you. Hahahhaaha they all laughed, my little black slave she said. I walked passed them but the laughter didn't stop. No aknowledgment of the offence caused. I felt drained for the rest of the day. No food tasted good - nothing made me laugh. Just felt drained and wished I was someone else...or better, somewhere else.

I live in Melbourne now - who even thought that was a good idea?!

3 comments:

  1. wow that's deep...sorry you had to experience that. As they say, ignorance is 10 times worse in Australia than Britain...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is sad you had to experience their racist attitude in this day and age. I am black too and I studied in Melbourne for 2 years in the early 1990s and experienced the stares, comments, as well as bus, tram and even church seat avoidance...the majority of people were not willing to sit next to a black person. But I believe we all have as much right as the next person to be on this earth. So hold your head high, you are strong; a thousand times stronger than their ignorant attitude!

    ReplyDelete